Self Advocacy Council Information
Our Council is called, Our Voices Count, Too (OVCT). It is an organization ran by the people, of the people and for the people. It is a county-run group led by leaders with developmental disabilities. We meet to discuss the issues, speak out for ourselves, support each other; and most of all show everyone that we have abilities, too. Our independence is important to us, even if we make mistakes. We want risk, we want real lives and no more stolen lives.
What is the Self-Advocate Movement?
People standing up for their rights and speaking up for their beliefs. This movement is similar to the Civil Rights movement of the 1960’s.
OUR MISSION IS…
Needs and Sharing our
Believing in Ourselves,
Individuality and building
Your voice to be heard.
To be an issue driven self-advocacy group that is promoting independence, speaking for ourselves, and challenging others to join the crusade of empowerment of achieving personal fulfillment.
What are our expectations as a member?
- Members are to support the mission and vision and purpose.
- Advocate for themselves and others.
- Stand strong on the issues.
- Speaking up
- Equal Rights
- Promote values of diversity inclusion.
Nothing About Us, Without Us!
What can we offer communities and organizations?
- Our leadership
- Keynote Speaking
- Workshops & Training
- Consultation for start-up group
- Sustainability of group
- Hosted 1st Self-Advocacy Conference for SC “Carolina’s Self-Advocacy Conference”
- Debate Event
- Our Community Standing Strong (OCSS) for Southern states: Co-chairman
- Video Blogging
- Voter Project
- People First Language Campaign
- Disability Advocacy Day
How to contact us?
FCDSNB c/o OVCT
1211 E. National Cemetery Rd.
Florence, SC 29506